Veggie Pot Pie
For the filling:
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 an onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 cup seitan or tofu, cut into bite sized chunks
3 tbsp earth balance vegan margarine
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C flour ( I use whole wheat or white whole wheat)
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 C plain organic soy milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3/4 C frozen peas or edamame (optional)
1. Saute celery, onions, carrots, and tofu or seitan in vegan butter for about 10 minutes, or until veggies are soft and tofu has started to brown.
2. Add the garlic and sautee another minute or two, being careful not to burn it
3. Add flour, stirring constantly for 1 minute
4. Add broth and milk to mixture while stirring constantly
5. Add fresh herbs and stir well.
6. Cook over medium heat until bubbly then stir in the peas, or edamame, salt, and pepper.
7. Pour into pre-baked pie crust, and top with second unbaked crust. Recipe below, or you can always use store bought pie crusts if you can find a vegan one- mostly what I have found are non-vegan or have toxic oils, so I usually do my own.
8. Bake at 375 F for 30-45 minutes, or until crust is browning and filling is bubbling out the sides.
Pot Pie Crust
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup earth balance
2-3 tbsp cold water
1. Mix flour and salt together.
2. Cut in earth balance and add water.
3. Shape dough into two balls and chill at least 30 minutes.
4. Once chilled, roll out the dough to fit a pie dish.
5. Bake one shell at 350 for 10 minutes, before filling. Use the second shell to top the pie.